Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Volunteer Committee (1974-1998)
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Formed by Lady Kemp in 1945 at the request of the Art Gallery of Toronto’s (now the Art Gallery of Ontario) President of the Council, the Women’s Committee’s initial function was to foster interest in the Art Gallery of Toronto, promote membership, and host fundraising activities. This distinguished volunteers on the Women’s Committee from others present at the AGO in this period, which included volunteer docents and other roles within the galleries. The Committee reported directly to the AGT’s governing council and was comprised of some of Toronto’s most prominent women. Over the years, the Committee managed many projects and was comprised of the following sub-committees: Education, Art Rental, Membership, Gallery Shop, Grange Restoration, Purchasing, Men’s Luncheon, Exhibitions, House, Communications, and Nominations.
In 1974, the Women’s Committee was renamed the Volunteer Committee in an attempt to be more inclusive and reach out to more members. No other significant changes were made to the Committee otherwise.
The Women’s Committee was disbanded in 1998, when their functions were taken on by paid staff. A new volunteer committee was established to oversee the work of docents.